Thursday, May 8, 2008

My Friend Avril: A Memorial Tribute

Sean and Avril-- Thanksgiving Day
Los Angeles, 1999

Today is a sad day-- I lost the physical presence of my dear friend Avril Rose. She passed at her home in Corona del Mar, California after a valiantly fought cancer battle lasting nearly eight years.
Avril and I bonded from the moment we met in the mid 90's-- it seems like a lifetime ago. I was in the human resources group of a large corporation in Danbury, Connecticut and Avril was hired as the executive assistant to our CEO. She arrived on the day of her interview driving a new Miatta convertible, looking like a movie star or, on a more exotic scale, a mysterious spy-- ala Cinnamon Carter on Mission Impossible. Gorgeously dressed, warm and friendly, I knew she would be offered the job. We shared a deep mutual love for animals and our dogs names were quickly familiar to one another. Settling into a busy life in Fairfield County, Avril purchased a beautiful townhouse in a park-like condominium complex in Brookfield and furnished it with a decorator's flair-- a tastefully appointed, elegant home. Brookfield proved to be the perfect choice for Avril to live as she made many wonderful friends at St. Joseph's church. These dear folks-- Alice & Hugh, Steven & Andrew, Bill & Pat, Nancy & Ted, Madeline (God Rest Her Soul) & Fred-- were her St. Joe's family and they remained in touch over the years since Avril relocated to Southern California. They have sent beautiful, supportive and encouraging cards, all of which were read to Avril by her daughter Randi many times over the last several days. They also kept Avril in their prayers through their wonderful prayer circle at St. Joe's. Truly a group of the loveliest, kindest folks. Avril thought so highly of each and every one of them and always kept them close to her heart.
Friends met at work include Mercene, Sandi, Kate, Nancy, myself and many, many others too numerous for me to remember. Bill and Pat-- Avril's boss and lovely wife-- were more like a dear aunt and uncle to her, always there for her. Ever concerned, supportive and generous-- they treated her like family.
My dear friend was wonderful to me in many ways. I decided to leave our company and move to Los Angeles for a career change. It was then that I realized Avril was even a better friend than I could ever imagine. Avril not only helped to calm and soothe nerves during a difficult time for me, but physically helped as well when I needed to move from a temporary apartment to my permanent place. I remember laughing to myself as we navigated through Los Angeles, Avril with her Subaru station wagon-- still with Connecticut licence plates-- and me in my VW also still with my Connecticut plates-- the Connecticut Caravan through LA. My first Thanksgiving away from Connecticut and my family was not something I was looking forward to. Avril knew this and invited me to dinner with she & John. We enjoyed a lovely time at Mimi's, as pictured above. We had fun while I was in LA too-- one day sneaking into Doris Day's house in Beverly Hills where we were given a tour by Doris' son Terry. We felt like Lucy and Ethel in an old I Love Lucy episode. We enjoyed a serene and almost spiritual lunch one other day, at The Inn of the Seventh Ray in Topanga Canyon. These are cherished memories I've always remembered as wonderful moments with a wonderful friend. Thinking of Avril as I have so much during these last many days, I've been continually reminded of her kindness to me. Selfless gifts from her that helped me immeasurably-- that helped me survive very tenuous, scary times alone in my life. Avril's generosity was limitless-- she was a true friend on whom I could depend for anything. Although in my heart of hearts I know she's now where she should be, it's difficult to let go of someone so wonderful, so kind, so funny and so young. Thank you Avril, thank you so much for being my friend.
Avril's former husband John-- a friend since childhood-- proved to be a friend to the end, taking care of life's details that are impossible tasks for the fragile and ill.
Now Avril is with all the people she loved and lost, and all her doggies, too. Pepper has already met her at Rainbow Bridge. Her young Miniature Schnauzer Baron, her companion, sentry and friend who was at her side throughout her illness, survives her. Shortly he'll be on his way to live with Avril's niece in Nevada. I'm sure he knows Avril didn't leave him because she wanted to-- she had little choice in the end and loves him dearly and forever.
God Bless you, Avril. So long for now. Until we meet again, dear heart. Until we meet again.
Contributions in memory of Avril can be made to The Humane Society of the United States by clicking on the following link: http://www.hsus.org/
or you may contribute to the animal welfare organization of your choice.
Beautiful Thoughts
Please read on . . . Contributions Shared By Friends of Avril
Dear Avril,

May you always walk in sunshine. May God's love around you flow for the happiness you gave us no one will ever know.
It broke our hearts to loose you, but you did not go alone for part of us went with you the day God called you home.
A million times we needed you, a million times we cried, if love could only have saved you, you never would have died.

Fondly,
Bill and Pat Font
Brookfield, CT

5 comments:

TRS2901 said...

Hi Sean,
This is Avril's niece, Tracy. I can honestly say I don't think I will ever meet anyone like her. She was my best friend in California. The three years I lived there we were practically attached at the hip. Some of my fondest memories is our weekly get togethers to watch Sex and the City! How we laughed....We laughed often.

Thank you for being such a good friend to her...she spoke of you often & adored you.

This is a great loss for all of us.

Steven Pisani said...

Dear Sean,

Your tribute to Avril captures so well her "joie de vivre" and beautiful, gentle soul. We have such wonderful memories of Avril arriving at church in Brookfield, looking breathlessly beautiful as though she stepped out of an Impressionist painting. Her impeccable sense of style was matched, and perhaps surpassed, by her open and welcoming personality, with which we connected immediately. In these beautiful days of springtime, which are now tinged with sadness for us, Avril has entered into the peace of her new life. We thank God for having blessed us with her in our lives.

Steven & Andrew

Philosophette said...

Sean,

You captured my mom perfectly. She always spoke of you with the fondest of voices, you were a treasure to her and I hope you realize how much of an impact you had in her life. I played your voice mail to her over and over even when I wasn't sure she could still hear it. I know it brought her comfort in a difficult time. She is at rest now with all her animals, and she promised to look out for my beloved little Stevie Ray who went only a few days ahead to prepare for her. Her love for all creatures great and small will go on in the people who knew her as she instilled that compassion in everyone who knew her.

Randi

Rosa Franco said...

Hi, Sean,

I am a friend and former coworker of Avril. We worked at the company before she went to be Executive Assistant to the CEO in Connecticut. I last spoke to her around her birthday that was April 4th. When I spoke to her, she mentioned that a good friend of hers was coming from Connecticut. She gave me advice as at the time I was unemployed. Since July, I have been dialing her phone number to let her know that I was working and was told it was disconnected. Today, October 28th, I put her name in Google and came up with your tribute. I was saddened to hear that she was no longer with us. I thank you that by creating this memorial to her I came across it. She was a wonderful individual and was a lot of laughs. I would like to contact Randi as she would drop by the office in New Jersey with Avril's granddaughter back in the '90's. Avril left our company in 1994. My email address is rosadelemos@hotmail.com
I also met Pepper. Pepper would sometimes come to the office. Avril would tell her, we are going to see Rosa and she would get so excited to see me.

Rosa Franco said...

Hi Sean, I had the privilege of knowing Avril. We worked at the last job she had before going to Connecticut. She was a great and trustworthy friend. We kept in touch up until this past April when I called her on her Birthday. I was unemployed at the time and she gave me advice. She mentioned that she was expecting a friend from Connecticut. After trying to reach her via phone and being told that the number was disconnected. Today, October 28th, I decided to google her name and I came across your memorial tribute. That answered my question about why I was unable to reach her. I knew her dog, Pepper, as she occasionally brought her into the office in New jersey. Avril would tell her, we are going to see Rosie and she would be very excited. I met her daughter, Randi, and her granddaughter. I would appreciate if Randi could contact me to offer my condolences.

I thank God for allowing me to have met such a beautiful and caring person. I will miss you, Avril, my friend.