Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Al Beadle, Great American Architect



Frank Lloyd Wright wasn't the only great American architect to discover and embrace the Sonoran Desert surrounding Phoenix, Arizona. Alfred Newman Beadle was an architect who brought the International Style of architecture to the desert. His elegant, sophisticated designs were beautifully suited to the desert landscape-- steel and glass sculptures like precious jewels scattered in the desert. I discovered Mr. Beadle's extraordinary work just before his death in 1998 on one of my frequent visits to Phoenix. As I snapped away at a house I discovered somewhere in the Biltmore corridor of Phoenix, a neighbor approached me. We chatted and he shared the name of the designer of the house I was photographing. A studio that Beadle built on a large parcel for he and his family, it was eventually subdivided and became a single family home on its own parcel. The friendly neighbor told me that Beadle had moved North with his wife to the quiet enclave of Carefree. As I had hoped to someday build my own small, flat roof, contemporary home, I was excited at the prospect of having someone like Mr. Beadle design a home for me in Connecticut. I located his phone number through information and placed a call from my hotel. Mrs. Beadle answered, explaining that she would give Mr. Beadle my message when he returned home. I should explain that although I was very interested in Mr. Beadle's work from the one house I had viewed, I had no idea whatsoever of his highly respected position in the Phoenix architecture community, nor of his prolific contributions to the art form. Beadle's structures were true works of art with a complete and thorough understanding of materials, construction & engineering concepts as well as purely perfect design. I would learn that the man behind the drafting table was as intense as the energy he transformed to blueprints. Later that evening the phone in my hotel room rang-- I answered "Hello" to which I heard, "BAGLEY?". I responded "Yes", to which the caller responded "BEADLE!". Gruff wouldn't nearly cover Mr. Beadle's conversational style-- I was on high alert with this larger-than-life character. I explained my situation, that I was in the process of buying a small piece of property from a family friend. I asked if I could drive by more of his residential work and perhaps discuss the possibility of engaging him in the design of my place in Connecticut. He seemed slightly intrigued-- perhaps he was thinking of one of his designs at home in the lush Connecticut countryside instead of the Arizona desert. As Mr. Beadle began giving me directions, "From Scottsdale Road, go West on Cheney..." was the route to his latest private residence perched on a cliff in exclusive Paradise Valley, I interrupted him to explain that I was from the East Coast and I had no idea of North, South, East, West directions without the aide a compass. He paused, then blurted: "If you get your lazy ass outta bed in the morning, you would see that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West". I was immediately, completely and thoroughly enamoured with this person. I laughed out loud, and so did Mr. Beadle. He then continued to give me directions, in his Western-culture style of North, South, East and West vernacular. I decided to buy a compass for the car in the morning. I thanked him and told him I would be in touch after my self guided tour. The next day was more than a single extraordinary discovery, it was startling discovery after discovery. I fell more in love with Beadle's work with every house, every angle, every fabulously stylized, signature stainless steel street number. Leaving for home the next day, I could only see a few homes on the long list Mr. Beadle so thoughtfully provided to me. Over the next few months back in Connecticut, my property purchase did not go as planned and my dream of a flat roof house designed by the fabulous Al Beadle temporally died. The following winter I picked-up once again where my tour of Beadle's residential work left off. Stalking a late 50's Beadle in North Phoenix just off Lincoln Drive, I parked the car and began snapping away. Unaware that the owners of the home were a mere few feet away on their patio, partially screened by a curving, corrugated steel wall and enjoying a glass of wine on that early Friday evening. Noticing me snapping away, they cordially asked if they could help me. I lied, saying I "thought" this looked like it could be a Beadle house. They confirmed that it in fact was, and invited me to their patio for a glass of wine. After a few moments I confessed that I knew their beautiful home was a Beadle house, because Al Beadle told me the location himself. I shared my discovery story of Al Beadle as they listened silently. I finished my story, saying that I looked forward to meeting him on this trip-- I hadn't called him yet but I hoped to set up an appointment with him. They both looked at each other as tears welled up in their eyes, then told me the very sad news. Alfred Newman Beadle had died suddenly only a month before. I joined them, crying for a man whom I had never met. Or had I? Yes I only spoke with him-- I had not seen his imposing frame clad in signature black clothing, but his larger-than-life spirit was heard loud and clear over the telephone through his commanding voice. Although I never physically met Al Beadle, I feel as though I knew him very well. Through his distinctive body of work that I instantly connected with-- his passionate art that made my heart race and goose bumps appear. Although Beadle will never design a home specifically for me, that's O.K. because everything he designed was for me-- and for everyone who is a sucker for a flat roof house and design that exemplifies the evolution of fine modern architecture in the purest International Style.

For more on the architecture of Alfred Beadle-- from his early residences to his later steel and glass work as well as his commercial and multi-family homes and the fabulous Safari Resort:

A thoughtfully written Wikipedia piece: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Beadle

An interesting YouTube CAD video:

A truly fine video biography was produced by Gnosis, LTD and is available on their website: http://www.gnosisltd.org/main/pg/10/

For information on everything Mid-Century Modern in the Phoenix area, including but not limited to Al Beadle, visit a site that's near and dear to my heart-- Modern Phoenix: http://www.modernphoenix.net/index.htm

1 comment:

Beeline Services said...

Interesting read on a man I knew pretty well. Al wasn't all gruff and tuff. He was a fairly thoughtful individual with almost nostalgic tastes. He kept a white mustang convertible in his garage and brought it out every other week or so to drive it once around the block then clean and polish it. His family life was fairly compartmentalized.

I should know, I dated his daughter Geri back in the early 80's. He kept suggesting that I marry her. ha. She was ok, but interested in someone else across the seas at the time. Ohhh the memories. Sad to hear of his death - I found out about a year ago. Al was a smart guy and it's too bad that he's gone.

From an old friend. Signalwriter AT gmail.com